Monday, January 9, 2012

Apprentice

There is no short cut, nor "royal road," to the attainment of medical knowledge. The path which we have to pursue is long, difficult, and unsafe. -John Abernethy

I feel myself becoming worse and worse since the time when I was a medical student. When i was a final year student, I could treat a patient coming in with hypertension without a second pause. I knew what to prescribe when a patient complains of difficulty breathing, what tests to order if a patient has a lump that has been bugging him. Now I stutter, and I stumble.

Is housemanship making me more.. Well, stupid? The system here makes you so focused on a particular branch of medicine that I'm starting to forget the rest. And the sad part is I used to be so in love with Medicine. As in, internal medicine...now that knowledge is slowly slipping from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment