Sunday, February 6, 2011

You Bet Your Youth


10 years ago I hated science and wanted to become an accountant.

7 years ago, I thought Pharmacy would be better suited for me.

But 6 years ago, I enrolled in Medical School.

Why? 

To tell you the truth, I don’t have the answer for that. Not anymore. In the beginning, I was inspired by the late-night documentaries I watched about MSF volunteers and Chicago Hope re-runs (I wasn’t and still am not a fan of E.R.). I wanted to save lives.

It all sounds so cliché now!

With all my whining and complaints, I actually do still want to be a doctor. I just have no idea WHY. 

The first day of medical school seems like such a long time ago. And at that moment, I couldn't wait to be here. At this moment. Months away from graduating. The six-year wait have been fun and surprisingly, fast. As a 17-year-old, all I wanted to do was skip to the good stuff. Skip to the part where I learn how to take care of sick patients in the hospital. And now as a 23-year-old six years later, I find myself still wanting to learn that very same thing. 

In some months I'll be driving up to the hospital and reporting myself for duty. And I know it'll only be a few weeks or months from that point in time before I get burned out and exhausted and feeling like every new patient is my enemy. I'll be so tired from all the night calls and 36-hour shifts. And I'm so excited to start!
Finally I get to see what six years of hard work got me. I get to do what I signed up for - treat patients!

No comments:

Post a Comment